On November 16, 2023, China Joint Drug Procurement Office announced the official list of 195 products (44 drugs when classified by active ingredients)1 that have successfully won the bid to participate in the 9th national volume-based procurement (VBP) program, a program of bulk-purchase of medicines for public healthcare institutions. The procurement process is scheduled to commence in March 2024, and the specific dates will be released by local governments.
On November 6, 2023, China Joint Drug Procurement Office announced the preliminary results of the bid for the 9th national VBP. Out of the 382 products submitted by 262 companies, 266 products (41 drugs when classified by active ingredients) from 205 companies won the bid.2
These 266 products underwent an average price cut of 58%, which is estimated to lead to a yearly sales value decrease of CNY 18.2 billion3. They encompass various therapeutic areas, including infection, tumors, cardiovascular diseases, gastrointestinal diseases, and metal disorders. Notably, a record high of about 50% bid-winning products are injections.
Among the 266 drug products, only five are supplied by foreign companies:
1) Olmesartan Medoxomil and Amlodipine Besylate Tablets (Aurobindo Pharma Limited)
2) Lacosamide Oral Solution (Hetero Labs Limited)
3) Lenalidomide Capsules (Dr. Reddy’s Laboratories Limited)
4) Atomoxetine Hydrochloride Capsules (Dr. Reddy’s Laboratories Limited)
5) Esomeprazole Magnesium for Delayed-release Oral Suspension (Cipla Ltd)
The final results are expected to be made public in the next few days.